Supabase or Xano?

This is not really WeWeb related, but I want to ask which one is easier to learn or use?

At first, I thought it was Supabase, because Xano looked so complex with all the API configurations and stuff. So Supabase at first glance looked easier to approach, But the more I am at this forum and the more videos are coming from WeWeb, I noticed there are more Xano-related questions and explanation videos.

Would it be wiser to switch over to Xano if I haven’t so much coding experience? I think for most of the things I am covered, but for specific things like sending emails, I noticed that it’s a bit tricky with Supabase, while Xano got a no-code way of doing it.

Am curious about your point of view. :blush:

Depends of your budget. I started out with Xano, but paying a proper functional subscription with Xano + WeWeb became waaay too expensive for what I was doing.

WeWeb + free Supabase, worked like a charm for me. I can’t do all those fancy Xano functions, still trying to find alternatives for them in Supabase, but my understanding is that these can be done as well on the latter.

1 Like

You indeed have more options in Supabase than in Xano, you can either use Edge Functions (not nocode unfortunately) or you can use PostgreSQL functions (not nocode but their AI can help you with that).
Both you can call via REST or Supabase WeWeb Lib Plugin instance.
To me Xano feels like it’s overpriced and very limiting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think that Supabase has more extensible functions than Xano, you can use Postgresql functions like database(triggers, views, etc) and you can extend its scope with edge functions. I’m working with free edition and it’s great !

1 Like

Thank you all for your thoughts… :pray::pray::pray:

Based on your reviews, I think that Supabase has more capabilities to extend or build out in the long run, technically and financially.

I will do my best to learn more and improve with this combo. :muscle:

3 Likes

like when you want to use an android product (cheap - can be configured according to your needs - takes time to learn to use) or iphone (xano - expensive - easy to use)

Comparing Xano to an iPhone is not really a thing ahah. It looks very cheap, only thing expensive about it is the pricetag. Supabase gives you way more options in my opinion :slight_smile: Also better looking / better UX.

2 Likes

Can anyone explain what “realtime” databases are. Whether xano and supabase are realtime?

I’m recreating an appointment booking app I designed in bubble and thinking of moving to weweb. Will I need this realtime feature?

xano & supabase already support realtime… realtime is like a chat application, messages sent are not delayed… hope this helps…

supabase has realtime database.
According to this post of january xano does not have a realtime database on its own, you need to integrate external services like ably to have live updated data.

Supabase introduced a new AI Assistant, which is another game changer. You can create Edge functions and SQL Statements respecting you current table structure.

Hi James! Adding my two cents here. I am CEO at Fastgen so I get similar questions a lot. Supabase definitely offers more flexibility and scalability. However, you would have to build your logic somewhere. If you are a decent programmer, you can use the Edge functions to power a lot of logic on top of your databases in Supabase. However, I would argue that Supabase is one layer deeper in the infrastructure. If you are not that comfortable with code, using Xano might be the smarter move if you do not plan on adding more team members who could fill that gap.

At Fastgen, we see some people use WeWeb (Your front-end) + Fastgen (Your logic-layer) + Supabase (your database-layer). Ultimately it depends on what you value the most.

Hope that you found a good solution and happy building!

3 Likes

so say I have a worker in the field looking at his calendar on mobile. The administrator at home books a new appt. Is it the case that this worker will see the appt booked without refreshing his screen on supabase with real time but not on xano without realtime?

Hey Mike very interesting proposition coming from a developer myself.

So are you suggesting that Fastgen + Supabase > Xan for basically everyone?

Because really you nailed it I have experience with Supabase, but you’re right a lot of the logic business logic must be handled externally or through their edge functions. And this can become a trap because folks underestimate how much data transformation you have to do and this can be a nightmare trying to accomplish that within your nocode front end builders and maintaining all that.

Xano is appealing because the business logic is right there very powerful with nocode but seems way to expensive.

But in your opinion can you say that the business logic capabilities of Fastgen are on par with Xano?

If so that proposition is most definitely the most appealing.

I’d like to see some use cases/examples of Supabase integrations/usage. Is it natively supported in fastgen? Or only REST API? I’m interested into finding the nocode layer for Supabase, so I can avoid Xano for my team at all costs.

Hi @grover22, think I missed your reply. Excuse the delay. Whether the worker would have to refresh depends on a couple of factors but you should be able to force an autorefresh from the backend if something changes in both instances. With supabase realtime and the websockets it should be very straightforward. Xano to my knowledge does not have realtime functionality built-in but they do have an integration with Ably that could take care of that. If the refresh does not actually have to be real-time but once a minute or a regular cadence is enough, you could just use a cron job that checks for changes in the appointment DB and then forces a refresh if something changed (not the cleanest option but it should work)

@adeola, I find it difficult to say that a specific toolset is better for everyone. However, I would say that most developers or semi-technical people would have a better time using Fastgen + Supabase rather than Xano. For full no-coders using Xano instead of supabase/Fastgen might be a better experience, especially if they are already familiar with the platform and do not want to learn how JSON works, etc.

In terms of raw business logic, we are very close to on par . Especially if you know how to code since we have a pretty sophisticated custom code block that also supports both Javascript and python as well as installing npm libraries. There are still some fringes where you might have a dedicated feature in Xano that does not exist in Fastgen yet but most of them can be circumvented with custom code. We are also adding some pretty neat GenAI functionality right now that further expands the business logic that can be implemented. There are some areas where you should not use Fastgen at this point. For example, Fastgen is not HIPAA compliant (yet). So if you are building a healthcare app, Xano would be the better choice

@Broberto there are currently two ways of working with supabase through Fastgen. One would be to use the Rest APIs to read or manipulate data in supabase. This is the more cost-efficient way since you can do it in the free plan as well. The other way is to directly connect your supabase DB to Fastgen and use the native database and SQL blocks to interact with the supabase data directly (the same way as you would interact with the integrated Fastgen DB). On top of that, we are working with the supabase team to launch two native, deeper integrations between Fastgen/supabase soon (current estimate is end of October).

1 Like

@Broberto any reason you are avoiding Xano other than cost? We’ve had a solid experience so far.

I don’t like how they’re doing things. Having 300 endpoints for one app is just straight ineffective. They’re asking a lot of money for basically duct taped open source software (plugins). No realtime. Rate limiting. Overall I prefer Supabase over Xano. I like to set my auth in 5 minutes, instead of having a miriad of errors. They ask you money for everything, even watermark pics, that’s straight desperate. With supabase on a free tier, you can run a small app easily, with all the features included and no watermarks, or hard limits…

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing about the endpoints in Xano, it didn’t make sense to me that there would be so many, especially once you start to scale. I started looking into Supabase today and it looks like you just make 1 collection for a table and then sort everything in Weweb, unless I’m understanding it wrong.

I noticed with the Supabase connection there is a query step, so that would mean any filters I set there actually happen on the backend, unlike if you use the filter step on the Xano integration it filters on the front end, is this correct?

Yes, exactly. Unless you want to filter it on the frontend before inserting the data, you’re doing all your filters on the backend with simple queries. No endpoints needed. Maybe some, but once Supabase plugin gets updated (for now only Xano had updates) you will need just your DB and the plugin, no 300 endpoints

1 Like