Thoughts on Database and Authorization Setup

Hello all!
This is my first post of probably many more to come. I recently found Weweb as an alternative to some of the other no code/low code platforms I was vetting and so far I love the system. I’m working my way through many of the tutorials online but that left me with my initial first question or thought in regards to setup.

Generally I figured that your database would house your user data for authentication, but as I’m going through a lot of the information found online it’s becoming a little cloudy. What’s the general consensus as the proper way to setup a web application for deployment. Should authorization be handled by something like AuthO and then the database app data be contained in something like Supabase. Should authentication data be separated from the main database? I guess I just don’t understand the methodology in the process and I’m curious about best practices and benefits for doing so.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hi @ctown :wave:

Glad you’re enjoying WeWeb so far :slight_smile:

Great question!

The authentication system will kind of depend on the rest of your tech stack:

• Some tools (like Supabase and Xano) offer all the options you need to setup a secure backend (database + auth).
  • Others (like Airtable or Baserow) offer the database side of things but they don’t have the features to setup control access so you might need to setup some imperfect workarounds and work with an auth system like Auth0.

You mentioned Supabase. If you’re using Supabase, you might as well leverage their auth system in addition to their database and realtime features. We have a dedicated Supabase Auth plugin to help you integrate their auth system with your WeWeb app.

Here’s a video that introduces some key concepts regarding security and no-code app builders.

Hope that helps! Happy building :grinning: