What’s challenging with Weweb+Supabase?

Hi!

I’ve been using Xano + Weweb for some time now and I’m fairly happy with this combo. It has it’s limitations and downsides of course, but I think every stack does.

I have been heavily considering switching to Supabase lately. I’m a complete no-code, but I’m pretty good with AI prompting to generate code snippets. I mainly want to switch for all my sideprojects as I find it quite crazy to pay thousands of dollars each year just for testing mvp builds.

I dont want to use something like Fastgen, as I’m trying to reduce costs, and I think Fastgen might not do it in my case since it’s pay per usage.

I want to understand what I might encounter as challening with switching from Xano to Supabase.

Any nocoders out there that have used both and can tell me about what the challenges has been? I’ve been playing around with supabase, but want to understand what might be difficult in Supabase and is easy in Xano today, specific examples are appreciated!

1 Like

Hello :wave:
More of a coder than a no-coder here, but some inputs you may find interesting :

• RLS (row level security) is the way you should handle security within supabase, and IMO they are a bit tough to handle. I found it a bit challenging to make sure I wasn’t making any mistakes with them
  • Supabase functions (the Supabase equivalent of a complex API endpoint) are not easy neither. You may find a way to do stuff with the Weweb workflows but I’m not sure I would recommend to have code everywhere within your weweb app instead of a proper API :face_with_peeking_eye:

In my structure we currently consider Supabase as a high code tool.

It’s extremely powerful coupled with WeWeb, but I personally would’nt recommend creating complex functions or row level security rules with AI-generated results :neutral_face:

(but that’s just my two cents :slightly_smiling_face: )

1 Like

I found this youtube video useful in going through the recent SDK updates and how they work. Might help.

I’ve found it very nice and quick having it all built in like this at a no code level. Like anything, it depends on your use case and needs I guess.

@NicolasLatitudes What would be some of the advantages of Supabase over Xano?

I do find that writting code can be easier than working with “no-code” functions once things get a bit more complex.

It seems that Supabase is better at real time data, and it seems to have more integrations. Were looking at Medusa.js for ecomerece and supabase has an integration, for example.

Does supabase have support for an object oriented programing approach? I heard that using Deno is more difficult than Node.js and has limited intellisese support in VScode. Or maybe it is possible to create a node.js server for some of the core logic and then use supabase for the postgreSQL and authentication.

As a no-coder who has used both, I’d say Xano is easier if you need to do more back-end manipulation with the data before saving to or retrieving from the database

Otherwise if you just need somewhere to store data and can do most of the manipulation on front-end, then I’d say supabase comes out on top. RLS is a pain to master, but I feel I’ve gotten the hang of it. You’ll need to utilise a mixture of the supabase AI and chatGPT to get you on the right track, but after a while you get the hang of it. Supabase recently introduced the ability to view your tables as a user (so you can see how you access your database if you are a standard user, admin, public etc.) which I’ve found helped heaps.

I haven’t touched supabase functions yet, I can see the power in it, but I don’t feel it’s no-code friendly (at least for now).

I’m using Supabase heavily with Chatgpt-4 to help me create postgres functions, RLS and so on.

But I have experience in coding, and I know SQL quite well. Wouldn’t be able to use AI as a helpful tool if I had no knowledge myself.

But that said, you can do almost anything, and your’e not limited in any way - Supabase is great

@benFortunato I don’t know Xano enough to answer in a proper way ! I was just listing stuff I find difficult for non coders with Supabase :wink:

What would be the advantages of supabase vs a node.js server? How much time and headache does this save you with Auth or setting up a PostgreSQL database from scratch? What would be the advantage of Supabase’s online PostgreSQL vs using a client like
Navicat
?