What would you like to see in a new user documentation and in a future university?

Hey everybody :wave:

In parallel to working on the product features, the team is currently thinking on how to help you build with Weweb thanks to a better documentation and a brand new university.

Our thinking was this one:

• The university should help people understand visual programming concepts (kind of like Webflow’s university, but for web apps) and how to manage a nocode project with a client.
  • The docs should help you while building in Weweb, listing all the product capabilities/APIs.

My question to the community is: What would you like to see in the university and docs? Also, how would you like to navigate/use them?

3 Likes

This isn’t a direct answer to your question, but I figure this tidbit might be helpful: Technically has been an invaluable resource to helping me understand fundamental web app concepts that have turned into mental models for building with WeWeb.

3 Likes

Let us know if you have ideas. We would be happy to hear you :slight_smile:
@kevinwasie, @kyanaloe, @dorilama, @stagiaire, @Patrice, @Anna.fae, @foliodc, @khairul

1 Like

I think what is key is make it visual, specifically in video format. I came from webflow and didn’t know how to code, but I know a thing or two about no-code backend. I always learn things by exploring and what helped me was by trying to do things and find out the way to do it, such as the cart function. There I learnt about variables, datatypes, inserting objects and manipulating objects, request and posting data to backend. Then I learnt about all the no-code tools in the logic. After I get the grip on weweb and can build most of the things I want to build, I found out the performance wasn’t good enough for my case(which I reported) knew I had to wait and I trust on weweb. But then I went to learn to code with js and react, and found it so cumbersome. I think coding is hilarious when compared to weweb. I think anyone can build atleast 10 times faster with weweb, as for me a novice coder a 100 times faster. One of the annoying things is docs, I think videos are much much easier to understand. That is why I think you guys should prioritize on video format, short videos, maybe all the basic things first, then do a practical ones like for example a shopping cart.

Another input I can give is, I think webflow university taught me html and css, maybe weweb university can teach me javascript, and also a little bit about authentication and backend, since most people probably handling backend for the first time.

1 Like

@Joyce has produced a ton of great videos. Unfortunately, I’m more of a read-the-docs type of learner, as opposed to a watch-the-video learner.

It would be a tremendous help if WeWeb created written companion guides for these videos.

For an example, check out the documentation for the low-code API Management tool Zuplo.

In order to accommodate a diversity of learning styles, their team has made a concerted effort to publish a written guide alongside every video tutorial.

Written guides tend to have a longer shelf-life, too.
Future redesigns of WeWeb results in existing videos doing more harm (confusion) than help, whereas a written guide can persist across versions with minimal upkeep (replacing screenshots etc)

I’m sure it’s a substantial project to retroactively document the entire WeWeb Academy, but with Youtube transcripts and summarization capabilities from Google’s Bard, its actually rather manageable (and if you open-sourced the docs to the community, I would be happy to contribute)

Thanks

3 Likes

Hey @justifi, great feedback as always! :grinning:

Super happy to read this as I’m working on a Google Doc handbook to accompany the upcoming level 2 course of the WeWeb Academy. I think you will find it super helpful to digest the big programming concepts we cover in that course but will be open to feedback of course :smile:

Yeah, it is a substantial project but we will get round to it for sure.

Right now, our priority is to:

The new video course will be out in 2-3 weeks and we aim for a complete, best-in-class user doc with up-to-date build guides like the Zuplo one you mentioned by September. Hopefully then we have a bit more time to add a text-based element to the visual programming courses :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes! We do plan to open-source the docs and would love you to contribute! Not sure when yet but we are actively discussing it :wink:

1 Like