What would help you the most?

Hey there :wave:

We’re exploring ideas to improve our content online. What kind of online events do you want to see more of from us?

1. Live streams showcasing new features
  2. Office hours to discuss your projects
  3. Streams where we build a project
  4. Group workshops to learn programming best practices
4 Likes

Hello,

Sweet proposal!
I want to see all of the above, especially 3. But I want more to see the showcase of the sites built with WeWeb, and also some tutorials on these sites techniques.

Additionally, I want to know how the WeWeb core system is developing on roadmap. If you provide some of discussion of backyards, more developers will come to use WeWeb, I think.
(I like the discussion of “Monthly Community Update” on Bubble, so I can know where they are going near the furure.)

2 Likes

For me what would help the most would be more proactive responses and help in the community. When I run into an issue, sometimes I get a response, sometimes I don’t. It can be frustrating when you are stuck on something and not have anywhere to go.

The other thing that would help tremendously would be more documentation on the plugins. Like how exactly do I use all of those other features in Mapbox? What else do I need to do as part of Xano Auth0 configuration (still don’t have it working), etc.

5 Likes

As @IdeaGarage said, all of the above-mentioned would be fantastic.

Specifically, I would love to attend workshops on how to effectively use JavaScript with WeWeb.
What I mean by that is not “How to code in JS” because there are millions of resources for that, but what functions made specifically by WeWeb we can use, or how you handle Vue components etc…

For example, I am only now familiar with wwLib.getFrontDocument() and yes that is easy and straightforward to use - but the single line in the dev docs about it told me nothing about what it does, how to use it etc…

Essentially, for more advanced use cases we are stuck until someone finally has time to answer us in the community. This comes down to the documentation for sure, but as we are all customers with the motivation to earn a living through our projects or contribute to the community I am sure that most of us would join Group Workshops and contribute.

In a group workshop I would be more than happy to teach newcomers how to handle the editor, and would be just as happy to have a veteran teach me about some abstract JS functions I could use.

6 Likes

All 4 are very helpful.
Unfortunately for some users its hard to find time to attend live events, so we need more step-by-step video tutorials for common use cases that will be available later in youtube library (on english), because for non-devs its the only way to proceed with their apps and do not give up.
And faster answers to question in community space would be very helpful.

5 Likes

Hey there!
I added some information as to what I meant by learning how to handle JavaScript in WeWeb.
Hopefully that makes sense, cheers.

1 Like

voting for this one!

I don’t think WeWeb should dedicate any resources to ‘live events’ until a robust, thorough and complete documentation is published.

The current (read: ‘new’) docs are woefully inadequate and far from comprehensive. I’ve been reading This content was written for an older version of Weweb and will be rewritten soon for way too long at this point.

The WeWeb Developer docs were written by an author for which English is not their first language. I won’t even attempt to create my own component until these docs have been revamped.

The in-app docs (plugins, :information_source: icons) are lacking, and sometimes missing altogether. E.g. the REST API Request Workflow Action has no documentation under the ‘Send Credentials’ toggle.

1 Like

I agree with @Anna.fae - I’m not a big WeWeb power user myself yet, but as a non-dev, what would be the most helpful and the most attractive to WeWeb as a product, is a reliable library of self-serve tutorials and guides from basic to advanced on a wide variety of topics. I feel like this is best done when organized in a curriculum format, not just a big collection of videos.

The YouTube for WeWeb has gotten much better from when I first stumbled upon it and I feel like it’s on the right track, but I would personally vote for bolstering that (as well as the online docs @justifi is referencing) before investing time and energy into the livestreams.

Cheers for asking and caring about this! :beers:

2 Likes

A video discussing how to build a single-page web app (SPA) using weweb. Also a video specifically about how to build with a “mobile-first” mindset (and more generally, how to make your mobile web app responsive. (and +1 on the Office Hours!)

1 Like

This is all great feedback! Thank you very much for taking the time to share it with us. Please keep the improvement suggestions coming!

Just started a new topic on how to improve the educational material on formulas specifically if you’d like to contribute.

FYI, here’s the roadmap for educational content:

• we’re releasing the first course of the WeWeb Academy next week. It will cover all the basic concepts you need to build a nice MVP using WeWeb
  • in May, we’ll release the second course of the WeWeb Academy. It will cover more advanced concepts to help you build a complex web-app that scales
  • we will do regular sprints to add examples and articles in the user documentation between April and June

At this time, we are not able to prioritize developer documentation. However, in the next few months we will organize:

• a couple of group workshops in our virtual offices, and
  • a couple of live streams to walk you through the process of building a component and answer your questions, like @aurelie did with @Quentin, @emanuele, and @dorilama in the past (replays here and here)

We hope this will be helpful and, if not, as always we count on you to let us know! :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi, what day this week is the first course of the WeWeb academy being released?

I am keen to understand as have no coding experience.

Tomorrow :slight_smile:

Definitely agree with mobile-first and similar topics, Fredo!

Definitely this. It’s obviously super helpful for the person asking the question, but then it creates a record documentation of how to solve the problem, and will make the forum a helpful searchable resource.