Using Medusa.js and NPM plugin to build out an e-commerce backend - Optimal Solution?

I was looking to use Medusa.js and supabase as an ecommerce backend. (https://medusajs.com/). Is this possible and if so would this be an optimal solution?

Is this Possible?

It looks like there is a store and Admin API, but there is also a seperate Medusa.js client (Medusa JS Client | Medusa) that can be installed via npm. Is the NPM compatible with WeWeb?

(It looks like the client allows one to make human readible requests using javascript, but that one can also make requests via cURL to their REST API. (Medusa Store API Reference) If the NPM pacakage doesn’t work I’m assuming I can just make the the requests via the REST API plugin, while installing the client wallow me to make multiple resquests quickly with a couple of lines of code in Javascript.)

Is it Optimal?

The advantage I see is that medusa comes with a nice product managment system with its own admin interface already built out and all the buisness logic you need to manage products, variants etc.

The other advantage would be that I wouldn’t have to build out a set of API’s to handle the integration between the store and out backend buisness logic since there is good integration between medusa and supbase (Medusa - medusa-file-supabase | Medusa)

If I use Xano with Medusa or anouther headless ecommerce platform I would need to create an API call from WeWeb to Xano then from Xano to Bigcommerce. This would require building and managing a ton of API endpoints, while having a JS client for WeWeb and then an integration into supabase would mean less code to write and manage.

The other advantage I see is speed. I believe that the integration with supabase is not through an API but a direct link (via websocket?) so it would be a lot quicker.

In general I see this as delivering a lot of functionality with a minimum amount of effort, the disadvanatge would be that it requires a lot of javascript since you would be writing the backend logic in Supabase and then using Javascript in workflows in WeWeb.

Can’t say much to your questions so far, but Medusa + WeWeb is something I also want to try. I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

That sounds great. DM me your info. I’d love to connect so we can see the best may to approach this and learn from each others mistakes.

1 Like