Installing the mobile version as PWA from a URL?

I’d like to create a link that I’ll then put into a QR code so users at a convention can use our networking web app as an app, also for the ease of it. Would it be possible to generate a link to “Install” the PWA?

One approach: you can provide a link to a PWA-enabled site that can immediately advertise itself for installation. Your app will need to be ready for PWA (setting up the manifest), but then you can hook the events and put them front and center in a button or modal or what have you: How to provide your own in-app install experience

Takes a little custom JS, but it doesn’t seem too bad.

Hey! :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s a feature that needs to be developed in the editor, in our side.

For the technical explanation, for your use case, you need to be able to access the context of the PwA configuration when it is initialized in the editor and this context is not currently exposed. (deferredPrompt in the linked article)

It’s not on our roadmap at the moment, but I’m talking to the others about it!

2 Likes

Hey @Kevin , does this mean that the prompt event can’t be captured with JS that is linked orembedded on the page via custom code?

It’s “maybe” possible if everything is managed in the page’s head or body in the page’s custom code. But it will be impossible to test in the editor.

1 Like