Cool feature of WeWeb with Chrome

I noticed that Chrome actually offers an option to “install” WeWeb’s Single Page Applications, and they run pretty convincingly in their own window and even an icon on the desktop.

Is there any more info? I wasn’t able to find any decent and recent stuff online. Maybe @Joyce or @aurelie might shed some light on this? I mean ofc it’s a SPA and everything, but it’s cool :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh wow that’s cool.

Better than this is https://browser.kagi.com/
Work on iPads too
Doesn’t launch Chrome ( useful if you are an user of safari/arc…

And it’s faaast

And you got your Weweb desktop app !

What kind of info are you looking for?

I wrote a quick doc to explain you can download your WeWeb PWA on your phone but didn’t include any info about how it works under the hood.

Was thinking about writing a user doc article dedicated to the PWA side of things though. It’ll probably wait until we release new mobile features but if you have any thoughts about what should go in there, I’d love to know!

I was wondering more about what exactly makes a WeWeb App downloadable on Chrome, as I wasn’t able to find any resources about this black magic :smiley:

Its the fact that you add a manifest, and so most device recognize this as PWA

4 Likes

Hello! this feature is great :slight_smile: anyway, I would like to have some degree of control about it, I’ll explain:

I have a webapp in Beta and ready to be used in desktop. I don’t want my users to install the PWA yet because the mobile version is not ready. Is there a way to implement a -temporary- limit to that behavior from Chrome?

Thanks in advance.

yes basicly it’s always posssible if i’m not mistaken, just for website that don’t tell explicitly it, probably in the Developer Tab (on mac in the topbar)
i use Arc so can’t recall, Safari 100% sure

If they want a webapp simpliest way is to create a webapp from Orion (look and feel of Safari, Webkit, but also Chromium and comptability with the firefox store
and is as fast as safari on mac for eg

that’s where on a screen above there is weweb but not Chrome in addition
Like for weweb editor

it’s like it’s became a app (i chosen the example to show that macos has no trouble with password
and you can actually be in edit mode even on ipad (but was not your initial question)

tldr : https://browser.kagi.com/