Feature branches and source control?

Hey, I own an agency and we specialize in creating weweb apps.
First of all, we all love weweb and its an amazing tool!

Although, one of the annoying aspects is working with multiple devs on the same project.
We have a QA person that tests all of the completed tickets on our staging environment. What happens sometimes is, one dev finishes something and is ready to publish his changes, whereas the other is in progress.

This creates a problem where the staging environment might have changes from multiple developers at a time, not all being fully completed and some causing bugs/preventing testing.

We of course can mitigate this issue with proper communication, but ideally we could create ‘feature branches’ for each ticket and merge them up the chain separately.

Is something like this possible/on the roadmap in the near future?

Best regards,
Axel.

4 Likes

Hi @AJAW :wave:

Great question!

It’s something the product team is thinking a lot about these days. They are currently exploring different options to handle the versioning of components and design systems which they expect will do a lot of the heavy lifting. Can’t yet communicate an ETA because there are a couple of UX design challenges they want to nail before starting development work.

3 Likes

Awesome! Looking forward to that :slight_smile:

1 Like

any update on this joyce ? this is super important feature.

flutterflow 4.0 just launched and they have git branches for features. you might want to take a look at that

Hi @AJAW and @liam_putra ,

As Joyce mentioned, this is something we are working on. Here’s a preview of what’s coming:

1. Project Versioning and Rollback

• You will be able to commit your work, with auto-commits occurring at regular intervals. This ensures that your progress is regularly saved as a new project version.
    • You will have the ability to roll back the editor to any previous version, preventing any potential loss of work.
    • Additionally, you’ll have the option to launch any version in a read-only mode, useful when collaborating with others who have also made changes.
    • It will be possible to copy and paste content from any version in the history.
    • However, please note that creating branches and merging them won’t be available initially. We’ll revisit this later. I’ll explain why below.
  2. Revamping Design System with Version Control

• Design systems will now be managed at the project level rather than the workspace level.
    • To update a design system, you’ll need to edit the respective project, similar to how you work with a Figma file.
    • Once updated, you can share and publish these design systems within your workspace.
    • For example, you can create a project named “My Kit,” where you define colors and a class called button. You can then share and publish this design system.
    • In another project, say “Project B,” you can include “My Kit” and use the button class.
    • Changes made by a collaborator to the button class in “My Kit” won’t affect its value and usage in “Project B” until the collaborator publishes a new version.
    • You will have a notifications in “Project B” and decide whether to adopt the latest version, including the ability to test and use a previous version if there are any breaking changes.
    • As a side note, we might rename design systems to Libraries.
  3. Components with Version Control

• You’ll have the capability to create components within the editor, allowing for the reuse of logic and easy maintenance of instances.
    • Components can include local variables, local workflows, props, drag-and-drop zones, and the embedding of other components.
    • Similar to design systems, you’ll need to publish every change made to components.
    • Components will also be integrated into design systems, giving you control over which version is active in various design system versions.

We believe that these version control features are the initial steps toward branching. They are essential for effectively scoping collaborators’ work and ensuring maintainability and scalability. These measures will minimize conflicts when merging potential branches, which is a significant challenge when dealing with branching, especially in a no-code environment where you can’t simply update a single line of code. You have to decide who wins.

Our plan is to release project version control and design system revamping in October, followed by components in November. Branching will be introduced later in 2024 after we have refined our version control capabilities sufficiently.

Hope this helps! Feel free to comment.

6 Likes

Hey @flo, thank you for answering! Very excited about the upcoming features, cant wait!

Once we have components, versioning and all that I think weweb will be the greatest no-code tool on the market by a big margin (in my book it already is due to the customizability aspect)

I will be happy to participate in a beta with our agency www.natural.agency for any of the features

1 Like

Looking forward to these updates!!

2 Likes

Hi Flo, really excited for this to happen! Just wondering if you have a status update on it at this time.

2 Likes

@flo @Joyce any updates on when we can expect new features for version control? :innocent:

2 Likes

Not yet :slight_smile: The priorities for Q2 are being defined as we speak :smile:

CleanShot 2024-02-28 at 11.55.04

The suspense is killing me too! :rofl:

2 Likes

ahaha)) looking forward to the announcement :slight_smile:

P.S. How do you like gather.town? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really like it! It makes remote work much more fun

2 Likes