App publishing and hosting

I am seeking some detail about how WeWeb hosts and publishes live app’s.

From reading the FAQ’s, I understand that WeWeb publishes deployed app’s via Cloudfront. I wanted to understand whether it is possible to define the edge locations that a deployed app should operate from.

For example, I have an application that requires both the frontend and the backend to be hosted in the same geographic location as its users ( eg: Australia ). With an application like Xano, I can define where the db and function stack server operate from ( eg: Sydney AWS region ).

Is it possible to define the geographic location for where the WeWeb deployed app is served from, much like Xano?

Additionally, as I understand it, it is possible to have the browser client send an API request via the WeWeb server to the backend endpoint ( as described here ) in order for a server-to-server request to be made. I want to understand where this server is located, and whether I can choose where the server is that makes this request? Any additional details about what is/isn’t logged in formal documentation would also be appreciated, thank you.

1 Like

I’ve been doing some more research on the forums, and have seen a couple of posts stating that the published app is also hosted in the Northern Virginia AWS instance.

Are there any plans to have a Xano type model where a customer can choose from a selection of AWS regions to host their WeWeb app in? Apart from ensuring regional compliance, it also allows customers to locate both their frontend and backend geographically close to each for better performance.

I understand that we can self host our applications, but the great drawcard of low code platforms like WeWeb and Xano is that as app builders, we offload the complexity of deployment to WeWeb to gain faster time to market, which is severely impacted if we also need to consider infrastructure management as well.

2 Likes

Thanks for asking! Unfortunately we do not plan to allow our users to choose the servers location in the short term. The default option would then be to self-host, but I understand your point with regards to devops being off-loaded to us, I think it makes sense. We’ll keep that in mind while thinking about this feature for next year.

In the meantime, if you need more info for the self-hosting, you can find our documentation here: Hosting & Code Export | Weweb documentation

Hi @Raphael, I appreciate your response.

As a low-code developer operating outside of the US, it is frustrating that more platforms do not offer geographic location selection like Xano, especially given the distributed nature of IaaS solutions in market.

3 Likes

Hello,
Here is my dream collapsing because if I understood correctly, for residents in Europe (France), you are not “RGPD compliant”?

WeWeb apps being frontend only, requests are made in your/the end user’s browser (except if you use the cache method), so your data never hits our servers.

GDPR is perfectly possible then.

4 Likes

Hi. Thanks for this information!