Upload videos greater then 50 mb

Dear Support

Our application is in need of a file upload for videos. These videos can be quite large (multiple gb’s).
How would you implement this?
And would it be possible with the WeWeb drag & drop upload component? Maybe with a different storage provider?

Best regards
Aaron

This is a community forum, not Weweb support :slight_smile: you can use the chat on https://www.weweb.io/ to talk to the team directly

But to answer your question to the best of my ability as a user: the storage WeWeb offers is definitely not meant for the kind of use case you describe, you need a dedicated storage provider. And yes, you can use the drag & drop upload component or the clickable one, they do the same thing: they just load the file data to the browser so you can do whatever you need with it (in your case, send it to some backend storage of your choice).

I use Supabase and I really like it, although my storage needs are much less significant than yours. Here’s what they have to say about that: Storage | Store any digital content

The paid “pro” plan which is $25/mo includes 100GB of storage, and it’s $0.021 per GB over that. I have no idea if that’s expensive or cheap compared to other options all there.

Cheers,

GD

Haha, that’s right, you got me!

Thank you so much for your quick answer GD.

I will play with your suggestions.

Best regards
Aaron

1 Like

You can also consider uploadcare or box api as options. Or any of the major cloud providers.

2 Likes

Thank you for the hint!

You say, the file upload loads the data in the browser.
How do I access this in WeWeb?

Do you know?

Even if you use either of the file uploader elements, there still seems to be a limit of 50mb. I’m using them to upload files to xano and it still gives me that error.

Yeah, I get that too

To upload large files, you need a vendor who wraps a different approach, like Uploadcare does. S3 works this way too. Under the covers, they are using a PUT request of your actual file with special headers (usually a signed one-time-use authorization code), rather than trying to push a base64-encoded multipart POST request. The former is a lot more memory efficient on the other end. These are more complicated to manage, which is why companies offering front-ends for them can charge a bit of money. Uploadcare.com does this particularly well.

1 Like