Stripe Strategic Advice

Hi everyone. I am working on implementing payments into my app. Here is my use case:

1. Each month, an amount needs to be debited from a customer’s credit card or bank account
  2. The amount will be calculated automatically by my app each month and may vary month-to-month
  3. Ideally I would like the customer to only have to enter their payment method once, and then agree that this payment method will be charged automatically each month for the calculated amount
  4. Of course I also want to give them the ability to optionally change the payment method when they want

Given the above use case, is Stripe the best approach? And if so, do I use Stripe Subscriptions?

Thanks!

@Dorian I’ll be interested to see how you go. I tried doing this using the Stripe Plugin and I could get it to work with a standard price x qty item, however I couldn’t get it to work with a subscription item. I also had to use the Stripe APIs to do things like setup the customer first, before using the customer id in the Create Payment Intent workflow module.

I think it should all be possible but you might have to fill some gaps with your own API calls to get it all working.

1 Like

Stripe supports variable billing on a schedule using its usage-based billing model: Usage-based billing | Stripe Documentation. I think this is what you’re looking for?

1 Like

Thanks @Dom. I will report progress in this thread.

Thanks @raydeck taking a look…

A moderator on Stripe dev discord says to use this approach, which I will try and implement: Set up future payments | Stripe Documentation