Stripe integration as an Escrow account

Hello, I’m new to web development and would appreciate your insights. I want to incorporate a payment system similar to Upwork and Fiverr, using WeWeb and Stripe as an example. Since Stripe doesn’t offer escrow services, I’m exploring alternative solutions.

My goals:

1. Implement a commission and service fee on the front-end, processing the data through WeWeb before sending it to Stripe.
  2. Create a seamless payment process with temporary funds held in my Stripe account as an intermediary. The idea is for the client to make the payment, which will only be released once the provider completes the work.

I’m particularly concerned about avoiding unintended double charges by Stripe, following the logic of an escrow account.

I’m open to better solutions and value your input.

Hi @John.k :wave:

Mmm I’m not sure about the options out there and best practices when it comes to implementing an escrow service but I would definitely recommend you handle any custom transactions like you’re describing via your backend, not a frontend (so not WeWeb).

This is because anything to do with payments requires security and confidentiality which is something that happens in the backend in web development.

We developed the Stripe plugin so you can implement Stripe Checkout securely in your web-app but anything beyond that, you’d need to build in your backend.

Does that make sense?

Since you’re new to web development, I’d recommend watching this video about building secure web-apps and also doing a lot of research on the best (read most trustworthy!) payment processing services that allow escrow.