Is There A Timeline For Push Notifications On The PWA Mobile App?

Hi! Is there a timeline on when push notifications will be enabled for the PWAs we create using Weweb? Would be great to send my peeps push notifications through the mobile app.

3 Likes

Hey @raelyn :wave:

Hard to say… I would say push notifications will be available in 6-12 weeks but it’s a gut feeling at this stage. Really can’t promise anything :confused:

To give you more context, the tech team will start exploration work on new features for PWAs next week. Push notifications are a big part of that but we don’t know how long it will take us yet because we’re just getting started. Maybe we’ll hit unexpected roadblocks!

Also, we’re working on a few other exciting topics in parallel so it’s possible mobile features will need to be de-prioritized if the tech team think they need to push harder on another feature.

To summarize: I’m really not sure but will keep you posted! :sweat_smile: Don’t hesitate to tag me in a few weeks if I forget to follow up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank @Joyce! By the way, is there a roadmap for Weweb? Saw the feedback.weweb.io one but I think that isn’t updated :blush:

That’s the correct link to our public roadmap, yes. It is updated but there can be a 2-3 week lag :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any update on this? Thanks

1 Like

any update on this ?

1 Like

Hello :wave:

It looks like push notifications will be a 2024 thing because our Q4 2023 roadmap is full already.

For context, this is what we aim to release by the end of the year (still subject to change + not necessarily in that order but just to give you an idea):

• rollback of projects inside the Editor
  • logs of what’s happening in your app
  • components (including versioning)
  • marketplace
  • CSS animations (currently in beta)
  • Supabase SDK 2
  • file storage no-code actions
  • NPM plugin to work with libraries of your choice inside the WeWeb editor
  • Figma to WeWeb import (currently in its third iteration of beta testing so let’s see if we can pull it off!)

We’re not sure yet if we’ll be able to release all of this by year-end (as you can imagine, there are a lot of technical walls we could run into!) but we’ll do our best :slight_smile:

That said, if the absence of push notifications on the PWA is a blocker for your project(s), we’d love to hear from you! Don’t hesitate to let us know more about your use case here.

Also, if you’d like to ask our CPO @flo some questions about the roadmap or if you need help on a project, he’s available here to answer all your questions every Tuesday at 12pm EST :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As of iOS 16.4, push notifications are available on PWAs added to the home screen. At that point, you can address the problem with some code. So it’s available to you. Here are a couple of resources:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/732594

Implementing this on a weweb PWA would be very cool!

1 Like

Can someone / Weweb do a tutorial on this? :sweat_smile: that would be awesome for us no coders.

1 Like

Hi @Joyce

Thank you for explaining the roadmap, that helps!

I think that push notifications and PWA improvements in general would help to build native-like apps a lot. A few use cases:

• You want to have an internal app that your workers can use on their phones. A PWA is way cooler than a native version as the distribution is very easy
  • You want to publish an app via the Windows Store. It supports PWA
  • You want to build an MVP and want to avoid all the hassle with the app stores

At the moment, we can only configure a few basic things (icon, theme color, bg color, name). For me that is not sufficient. I want to configure splash screens, service worker behavior, navbar behavior on Android, etc.

Maybe you could give us the option to disable the manifest and service worker creation. Then we could build and include our own. Right now, I have to use the auto-created config.

Thanks
Max

1 Like

Great feedback and suggestion! Just created a feedback ticket so the product team can explore that option.

2 Likes

I’d be really interested in this as well as it would give us the ability to create an automatic prompt to install the app when people land on the webpage.

1 Like

Cool. Added it to the product ticket so the team can take it into account

As a work around is it possible to use onesignal, or similar, to achieve the full functionality of push notifications?

This is really something that is on top of our mind. Supporting PWA features will be our priority in Q1 2024. It come with dedicated mobile libraries. So you could start with ready-made components.

@Max, we are indeed exploring how we could start by giving you access to the service worker.
@Herdy, it looks like you could use onesignal now by following this tutorial. With the custom code setup.

3 Likes

@Joyce can you please expand more of components? Will this just be reusable linked elements, similar to reusable sections today?

And any timing update on getting components live?

Thanks Flo! Does this mean we will be able to send out push notifications manually like in flutter flow?

@flo you mention PWA features, does this mean other features like FileSystem API (File System API - Web APIs | MDN), File Handlers (file_handlers - Web app manifests | MDN) etc will be coming too?

any update on this rae ? is it working for you with the custom code setup ?

Nope! But I think Weweb is working on this in 2024 :slight_smile: