Implementing Chat in Weweb?

Has anyone here implemented Chat functionality using Weweb & Xano? In your opinion what is the best approach? Do I need to use an external service? I have fairly simple requirements. I need to allow team members to have a single chat string (normally ~ 10 members per team). But it will need to scale as I’m building a multi-tenant SAAS. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve seen Ably mentioned in a few places. Xano has a few resources and threads on using it.

1 Like

I try to start with a big lego before rolling my own. WOuld a third-party service with an SDK do the job? Like Amity.co or Minnit.chat? I don’t have first-hand experience with either vendor, but exploring them might give you insight as to how you might solve the problem more cheaply than rolling your own using something as low-level as a relay like Ably.

1 Like

How did you set up the realtime on weweb side? I am doing exactly the same, weweb as front and XANO as backend using ably to real time.

I once did a live chat implementation with FlutterFlow and Supabase following this tutorial.

I’ll go for the same approach using WeWeb and Supabase Realtime. If anyone is interested in the finished solution let me know. Don’t know when i’ll finish it tho.

1 Like

Would love an update on this when you have one!

1 Like

I haven’t done anything on this yet - I have it at the end of my build schedule cause it’s a nice to have rather than must for launch. I did look at Minnit.chat and it seems like it might work for me - and you can embed it in Weweb via web viewer (iframe?). and you can hide the Minnit branding. I recommend you check that out…

Personnaly working on it (in a native way) if i get the exact result i seek i will let you know !

1 Like

Xano will implement the realtime feature really soon, imo the best thing is to wait

1 Like

You can do this already with WeWeb and Supabase, but it’s hard, because you have to manipulate the realtime subscriptions when you switch chats. A new Supabase Plugin version by @Alexis is said to release soon, so it’s gonna be very easy with the new version to make a Chat. You could make Supabase and Xano work together as well, but would require some tinkering.

Just to add: I made it work with this version of Supabase too, so it’s definitely possible. @jptrinh did also a proof of concept.

1 Like