2 questions about front end pagination

Hi!

Q1: If I set front end pagination, and for example only show the first 10 items of a collection, will the page speed be like as if 100 items were loaded or will it be more efficient?

Example: I show 10 of 100 items (paginated in front end) vs I show all 100 items, will it load at the same speed?

Q2: Roughly how many items of a collection can be loaded until there is a decline in performance?

Trying to decide if it is necessary to even have pagination (or back end pagination) for my use case.

Hi @raelyn,

there are two ways pagination can help performance

• Reducing the time to load the data themselves (if done backend sides). For that, normally, going from 10 to 100 has generally no impact (it’s useful when having thousands and thousands of data)
  • Reducing the time to render the page (back and front filters). Here, going from 10 to 100 will mostly depend on the complexity of the layout you repeat. If you are repeating just a text, pagination will not have that much impact. If you are repeating a complex card, with imbricated containers (so each repeat represent several WeWeb elements), then you can start to have performance issue (normally a bit more in the editor than in the published app)

I will advise testing for 100 if your UX make sense for that many items (there is also a UX question here), and if you have performance issue, try to go with pagination

4 Likes