Why isn't an element in the Design System being updated?

Hey there! First of all, I’m just playing around with weweb for a hour and I’m already in love :heart_eyes:

But I have a question: I placed a primary button on one page and added it to the Design System. Later, I included the button from the Design System on another page. However, when I change the button’s color and make an update of it to the Design System (by clicking on the small book and plus icon and selecting “Update existing element” then), I expect the other instance of the button on the other page to be automatically updated as well. Unfortunately, this is not happening. Am I doing something wrong or misunderstanding the concept?

Thank you in advance for your response!

Keep rocking,
Andy

1 Like

Hi Andy,
as far as I know, this is the current behavior. If you use a component that you previously saved to your design system, it will only create a copy. Changes made to the original will not propagate. WeWeb Team is working on reusable components, but I think this will still take some time.

In the meantime I use reusable styles. You almost get the same result.

Cheers,
Max

2 Likes

Indeed, it’s either styles, or multipage sections that have this sort of “replicable behavior”.

1 Like

Hi @andystrb :wave:

First off, glad you’re enjoying WeWeb so far! :slight_smile:

Regarding the elements saved in the design system, as @Max and @Broberto said, you’re not misunderstanding anything. It’s how these work at the moment.

The team is indeed working on reusable components that will include versioning and should help a lot in the future.

In the meantime, here are a couple of tutorials that might help:

Hey guys,

thank you all so much für your answers. I will have a look at this 2 ways then.

Best,
Andy

1 Like