Weweb vs Bubble.io

So hello, I’m new here. I’m searching for a Bubble.io-like tool and weweb is really interesting but I have a few questions…

1.Weweb is deep like Bubble.io / how limited is it for the design and technical view? Like i can make a Twitter/Instagram clone with it?
2. I watched a few tutorials but I can’t understand anything, I need to be a professional web developer to build here? Or somewhere I can find a dictionary?
3. Can I trust in this company? I love the idea of not being locked in but still, maybe I put more trust in a team who doing this year’s now…
4. How scalable is it?
5. Why not All In One? - Like Bubble.io
6. Why does somebody want to self-host?

1 Like

Howdy @Tusi_1,

Glad to see you’re exploring the world of no-code/low-code and stumbled upon WeWeb. It’s a great tool. I’ll do my best to help you out.

1. WeWeb like anything else has limitations, however, if the comparison is between Bubble and WeWeb, it’s much more visually empowering due to it being more of a low-code platform. It would be great to know a little bit more about what you’re trying to achieve visually. However, by using JavaScript, VueJS, and things like ChartJS, the stars are the limit in WeWeb.

2. I’m probably the least technical guy in this community, but I can tell you that you don’t have to be an engineer to work with WeWeb, however, you do have to be technically inclined to get the most out of it. I would suggest investing in taking all of the courses one at a time and then diving a little bit into VueJS.

3. Yes, you can trust WeWeb. The corporate team is some of the best guys/gals I know in the no-code/low-code platform community. Financially they’re not the biggest, however, they’re not the smallest and have stable investment and user base that’s growing by the day. And WeWeb isn’t “new”, they’ve been around.

4. Again, if we’re comparing Bubble and WeWeb, it’s very scalable. Because it’s a half-stack platform you get the best of frontend, which is not the case with Bubble (they’re focused on all aspects of functionality). Due to the low-code aspect of WeWeb, you’re able to do much more than Bubble in a shorter amount of time in a nicer way.

5. Being a half-stack visual coding language makes it much more versatile and scalable because the corporate team can focus all of their energy on the paint points users want to solve on the frontend. Rather than being ok at everything, WeWeb is great on the frontend.

6. There are a variety of reasons someone wants to self-host. For example, my agency, nocode rebels has a client in the banking sphere. Due to certain financial regulations, they have to be able to own/control everything.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Wow, thx, I can’t program web apps. So if I need to program I’m leaving sorry. Second, no one talking about and I can’t find tutorials. The official academy videos just made harm than good. How many plugins is supported or created by the users? And why the plans are higher than Bubble if the company only does the front end? So I’m paying more for less.

In this case, my honest, professional opinion is to reconsider trying to become a Citizen Developer (non-technical developer). Why? Well, the work the average No-Code Developer without a computer science background does is very poor, and if the WeWeb Academy is a little too challenging, you’re sure to experience a lot of hardship developing on Bubble too. It might be easier to get started, but it might not be easier for you to finish.

Assuming you’re not trying to launch your own tech startup and simply looking to change career paths into IT, I would suggest something more along the lines of Product Manager, Project Manager, Talent Acquisition Manager (for no-code/low-code), Portfolio Manager (no-code/low-code startups), Account Manager, etc. There are so many options!

If you’re trying to launch your own startup, find a Co-Founder with a computer science background and introduce them to something like WeWeb, and let it be their responsibility. Or, if you have money, hire a freelancer, internal team member, or agency to help you.

However, keep in mind, if you want to be a developer but don’t have a good understanding of systems architecture and don’t plan on taking any courses, you’re going to have a really hard time.

Before you give up on learning though, reach out to people like @thenocodecoach, @Dario, and @Slavo. These guys are great WeWeb Developers and are in some cases coaches and mentors for those who are serious about learning.

1 Like

So, when I learned Bubble, it was clear like snow, understandable systems, etc. But the tutorial that this company provides is a mess ( I would love to learn this actually) . And again why would anyone pay for less? Answer this.

Bubble is cool. I don’t think anyone here would say it isn’t a cool tool. Most probably build on both.

To answer your question directly, I’d simply say you aren’t paying for less. You’re paying a little bit more for a lot more. Bubble is $119 and WeWeb is $149. The amount of things you can do for that extra $30 is pretty substantial in the bigger picture.

I’m not sure what you’re into but I’d analogize it like this:

Imagine Bubble is like a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It’s versatile, trendy, and affordable. Imagine WeWeb is more like a Range Rover. It’s versatile, and trendy, but more expensive because it shows better than the Jeep, feels a little bit nicer to drive, and is typically expected to perform better when it matters most.

WeWeb can do everything Bubble can do and more. You aren’t paying more for less. You’re paying more for more.

Shoot Slavo an email. I’m sure he’d be happy to show you around and answer all of your financial or technical questions.

Now im interested XD. So Weweb can do everything that bubble but better? how?

1 Like

How do you know you’re paying more for less? With WeWeb you know exactly what you’re going to pay. With Bubble you get charged based on a made-up metric called Workflow Units. The majority of people find with bubble they need to buy additional workflow units every month.

You also get charged workflow unit just for BUILDING your app on Bubble.

With Weweb, plans are based on app visits. Its much easier to forecast how much your app will cost to run if you base it on how often people will login.

With Bubble, you can have a couple of people use up all of your workflow units because they are consumed everytime someone does anything in your app. So the more there is to do in your app, the more Workflow units you need to buy.

Checkout the Bubble forum, you’ll see the droves of people that had to leave because they changed the pricing to this and now their apps can’t scale profitably.

I built a pretty complex platform on Bubble but had no choice but to switch to WeWeb as Bubble’s WU pricing killed the app straight away. That and security issues, and the lack of scalability :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
I’ve also spent countless nights trying to debug things on Bubble thinking I screwed up only to find out it was a plugin issue or a Bubble issue.

The transition to WeWeb hasn’t been plain sailing TBH, as I’m learning Xano too but I do prefer WeWeb’s flexibility over Bubble. It’s slow at first, but when things finally click, it’s great. Also knowing that I can scale I a massive peace of mind.

Another option for you is to check out WeWebUI.com or QreamUI.com, these guys are building the blocks and templates that could help accelerate your development.
You could also reverse engineer their components and learn best practices from them :+1:.

IMO, Bubbles strength lies with its large community of volunteers. They’re the ones building the plugins and tutorial videos. You rarely get help on the Bubble forum from a team member but it’s a different story with WeWeb. As the WeWeb community grows, it’ll only get better along with the tech but unfortunately Bubble will always be stuck with the old infrastructure.

2 Likes

If you don’t like academy course ( which I personally use just for some actions /tips ) I find them short and efficient.
Check out the ones from Webflow where they try to turn it into a fun learning ( ended up x2 or just read the transcript)

Anyways if you want my opinion, you can start without academy at first , for any question on how to do this or that ask Copilot , when you want to make JavaScript contextual based on your actual data/collection…

And for the rest we have Joyce !

I think @Joyce would prefer that people watch the Academy videos first before asking her! She seems to be kept busy enough on here! I learned a ton from the Academy videos. :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Yes of course, Dorian! I tried to be mindful of not being too aggressive towards the author and instead, I wanted to offer a different perspective by empathizing with his learning curve. By doing so, I hoped to provide another way to approach WeWeb that always finish by watching Joyce’s tutorial !

Trust me, i ended up watching a lot of video on their youtube so yeah Joyce is doing an amazing and determinant work to learn literraly !

1 Like

@gradyandersen I think Weweb is more like Porsche Cayenne. Starter is the basic version, Scale is S/GTS and if you want Turbo or Turbo S, go Enterprise.

7 Likes

Find it too bad tho for agency plan to not have stagging like the freelance/agency plan of webflow ;(

Hey @Tusi_1 I would recommend being a bit gritty with WeWeb and sticking around for some bit. I understand that you are trying to get started and I do agree that the tutorials and other resources are just not enough yet. Here’s what I recommend: Single page basic Signup/Login - #4 by buildnocode

Yes you right. I think Weweb has more potential but the learning curve is steeper. So im not web developer so i need to learn first the concept of it i think. So first what Xano does? I know is the backend but it seems for me like just a storage. And Xano is the best for scaling?

There are much more tutorials & courses to learn Bubble because it is popular and has been around much longer. I think it is easier (still not easy) to learn Bubble than to learn WeWeb + backend to create simple apps. But it still takes some good experience to do a more complex Bubble app. It is not that straightforward (compared to traditional coding) to implement some functionalities in Bubble. It would take experience and guidance/help. I am pretty sure that WeWeb or other no/low-code tools have similar problem. That is just the limitation of the no/low-code tools.

It is hard to compare Bubble, Weweb, and other no/low-code tools in general, as they have their pros and cons. It may be better that you create a detailed spec for the app you want to build and ask people in each camp how it can be build. Maybe you can see the differences in complexity.

Well, no-code is the gateway drug to code and I believe if you are investing time in learning this, it’s much more beneficial in the longer run to familiarize yourself with CS concepts.

WeWeb is only the front-end. It’s basically what you see and interact with. Xano is the backend. Yes it acts as a storage for your database and you can build complex logics too. It is definitely scalable and offers 100k records in the free plan. You may or may not choose Xano as a backend based on your requirements so do your own research on if it fits your use case/budget.

Start with the Level 1 of WeWeb academy that gives you a fair idea of what to expect when using Xano and WeWeb. Learn building UIs first using WeWeb by replicating available templates and figma designs. You can then watch WeWeb x Xano tutorials available on YT to start understanding the backend functionality.

1 Like

So i need to learn Xano too? Like a different platform? What Xano does exactly?