WeWeb app performance vs. native app?

Hey peeps. Does anyone have any insight or thoughts on how an app built in weweb feels (in terms of user experience/performance) compared to a native mobile app? My current app is native, and very snappy performance (screen loads etc). I’m assuming (hoping?) that when I launch my weweb app the user won’t notice any difference in how the app performs. Is this a reasonable expectation?

Interested in your thoughts…

I’d say it’s gonna be a little slower. In WeWeb there is only so much you can do to optimize. Also I think some more code you wouldnt use if you coded it by hand is gonna be added. You can check out the code samples, they’re somewhere here.

This is not founded on hard data, so I might be wrong. But nocode has hard time catching up to classic development in terms of speed and quality, because it adds a lot of junk, required to abstract the logic for nocoders.

Hi! What do you mean by “native”? Is it a native iOS or Android App? If so, it will definitely be slower. WeWeb runs on JavaScript (VueJS) and although this is very performant, it won’t be as fast as native development.

1 Like

I’ve only tested on the phone as a PWA and its not as fast. However, on desktop I’ve found Weweb apps to run pretty quick so far, as long as you build it right, but on a phone as a PWA I’ve noticed a big difference in terms of loading collections etc from Xano.

Thanks for the replies! Makes sense. I misspoke when composing my question. There are 2 parts to my solution:

(A) Scorekeeping app that runs on FileMaker Go (a native app that is basically runs a FileMaker runtime).

(B) vue.js webapp that publishes results of games, league standings etc. This is what I’m building in Weweb/Xano - so providing I can optimize properly, it feels like my users will experience similar performance.

Hi @mark - eager to learn what you mean by “as long as you build it right”? What do you consider pretty quick? What can one expect in terms of snappy performance?