Supabase Test vs Live Database (if possible)

Xano has a lovely feature that allow you to switch between your test DB and Live DB and weweb allow you to control what you can show in the editor vs prod. Has anyone been able to mimic this with Supabase?

Hi @avery :wave:

I believe our CPO @flo has played around with Supabase’s local development feature.

Let me check with him how that works and get back to you on that one.

1 Like

Yes please keep me updated!

Hi @avery :wave:

FYI, we haven’t forgotten about you. It’s just taking a bit of time because the answer is long and we want to explain it well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Joyce, just curious if there are any updates on this :smiley:

yes!

Here’s a video @flo recorded on the topic. I still need some time to go through it and record a “tighter” version but hopefully it can get you started :slight_smile:

Awesome that is super helpful, thank you so much.

Do you know if there are any plans in the future to add more to the supabase plugin? It seems that it will get tedious to keep switching between the locals keys and the live keys before publishing.

Also in case someone else stumbles on this post, our workaround to get multiple people working off the same project (cause local dev won’t work for multiple people). We created 2 supabase projects (one dev, one production) so that multiple people can connect to the “dev” project (connect locally, do push request, etc) while that dev project is connected to weweb. You will still have to switch keys before publishing and make sure to clone any changes to your “dev” supabase to your “production” supabase.

Yes! The team is working on updating the Supabase plugins with the v2 and will look to add new features at the same time. Not sure yet what will be included in that update though because it’s still in the exploration phase.

Nice! Thanks for taking the time to share this tip :grinning:

Hey Joyce, is there any update on this? Does the updated Supabase plugin allow to use different databases in development and production? If not, what is best practice here?

edit: just figured out, that this thread is pretty much about the same topic: [Editor] Staging and Production credentials handling - #6 by Alexis

Yeah, actually I’m kinda disappointed that things like Sound Plugin got released instead of a proper fix for this, Xano has had this for ages, you even facilitated it by implementing it on your side. I don’t want to be the hater, but I guess more people care about being able to have a proper dev experience with Supabase (also as an amount of demographic of users) than to have a Sound Plugin :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Broberto, yeah I completely understand your frustration. As Alexis mentioned in the other topic, it’s definitely something we’d like to prioritize but we still need to figure out how and when it will be possible.

As you know one feature in doesn’t necessarily mean one feature out, it’s more complex than. The sound plugin was completely decorrelated from the Supabase improvement for example. It’s often like that which is why sometimes less urgent things are released earlier.

Hey Julian, as mentioned in the other topic, I don’t have an update on this and haven’t come across an ideal workaround. Hopefully we can push a nice update soon :slight_smile: It’s currently in the exploration phase.

I would also say to that Xano was made for the no-code space vs Supabase was made to make developers lives easier when creating databases. It would be nice if in the Supabase plugin had an extra fields to input your production keys and url so when you deployed it would use those keys (hint hint :wink:) but it would also open a whole can of problems for no-coders if they didn’t keep their development and production databases in sync (plus not everyone is willing to purchase 2 supabase databases for one weweb project).

Right now we just have to deal with what Supabase gives us because doesn’t have no-code/low-code way of keeping 2 databases in sync safely like Xano does.

You can host Supabase locally and input those credentials.

Also @Joyce thanks for answering. I still feel like Supabase is getting gatekept by you guys over Xano, sounded to me like that’s the reason why Realtime update also is not released yet, so honestly I don’t expect this change to be happening anytime soon either.

Wouldn’t you just use Supabase branching?

Branching is in Alpha if something hasn’t changed meanwhile, I’d say I wouldn’t trust it :sweat_smile: (yet). The point is, WeWeb needs to implement a possibility to differ between staging and production keys, that’s a standard thing.

1 Like