Question for WeWeb devs with a Macbook Pro

Hi everyone, really sorry for the off topic but this is important to me. I’m about to buy a macbook pro and I want to know for those who are used to develop on weweb etc do you think 8go of ram is enough or not at all? Let’s say I’ve got weweb open with a big project and several other tools open too.

Thanks a lot!

I have a pc, but in general I would say 16gb minimum. I go in WeWeb quite often with maybe 30 other tabs-- figma, coda, youtube, gmail etc… and it already uses 16gb of ram in the arc browser and edge.

2 Likes

Because macbook pro currently have more than 8go start from 2500€ lol

Hey thank you micah :slight_smile: I’d like to hear from other people who have a macbook too, please

Unfortunately can’t advice from personal experience as I have a 32 GB Pro, but I would take at the very least a 16 GB version. A colleague (copywriter) had a MacBook Pro with 8 gigs of ram, and for him it’s very tough to use it - he has infinite tabs open always, but still, I would at least go with 16.

I’m at this while running some WeWeb editors (2+ projects), Figma Desktop, Adobe Illustrator, DataGrip, Excel, Word etc… and Arc with school stuff. Haven’t benchmarked the performance of the WeWeb Editor, but I’m guessing it got better recently, but yeah, I don’t do much work in it lately.

If you’re a company (a legal entity such as ltd.), at least in my country (Slovakia) you can buy this stuff without the VAT (20% here) so it ends up being a pretty okayish deal, depends on what you get tho.

1 Like

any 15.7" laptop with amd/intel cpu with low consumes (look for 15w typical tdp and a minimum of 13/15k in average benchmark score) and 16gb of ram would work wonderfully with the main nocode platforms and a lot of web development. It’s not fancy but is less than half the price of the fancy stuff and does the job :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Some fancy features might be cool, I personally love copy-pasting between devices as I usually do this a lot from the iPhone to Mac, also the UX of the OS is superb. Other than that, I’d reach for a mac only if I had money to spend, or if I needed battery on the go. The Mac battery never let me hanging at school, or outside. Other than that yeah, just some fancy stuff. Any other computer will do.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answers guys but yes as @Broberto said I wanted to test mac because I already had a laptop 4080ti i9 etc but the problem is that for taffer only, while traveling etc it is not very practical (fan noise, it heats a lot, the battery does not last long).

btw do you have a 1tb or 500gb of storage ?

fair enough. as others have said go for 16gb of ram and you should have enough memory

2 Likes

500 GB with a 1TB Samsung external SSD does the job :slight_smile:

1 Like

My colleague had an 8 GB M1 and used to struggle occasionally. I’d recommend a minimum of 16 GB, as I haven’t run into issues with my M1.

2 Likes

8gb is not enough in my experience.

I bought the M2 MacBook Air base model because I wanted something cheap and portable. Returned it within the week because it was unacceptable for more than a few browser tabs and a few apps open at a time.

I regularly have 50-100 tabs open because 80% of what I work in is a web-delivered saas app like Weweb, Make, Bubble, Framer, Xano, Airtable, Google docs etc. Then I have several apps open for mail, calendar, slack, zoom, image editing, xmind, notes, reminders, etc.

So instead I bought a discounted M1 MacBook Pro with 64gb of ram and couldn’t be happier. Yes it is a year or two older model, yes it has an older cpu, but the ram on a Mac makes a world of difference. It’ll last years and nothing I do is CPU bound. It’s probably a pound or so heavier than the Air which is annoying, but nowhere nearly as annoying as being frustrated every time I use the laptop by having to close a bunch of stuff just to relieve memory pressure.

Get as much ram as you can afford.

2 Likes

I have an M1Pro MBP and an M1 Mac Mini, both with 16GB. My dev work requires me to run parallels a lot so my usage is a bit higher because of that and I’ll have active swap of about 5+ GB when it is running. I also run 2 external monitors plus the laptop screen. I’ll be upgrading to 32 on my next purchase, but it runs totally fine in 16.

If you are MacOS apps only, you will be nice and comfy with 16. I honestly wouldn’t go with 8, while MacOS and the Apple Silicon platform uses ram much more efficiently than the equivalent PC, you will be running into constant swap at 8.

1 Like

I was on a Macbook Air M1 base model with 8GB up until recently. I downloaded Stats to put my activity monitor up front and center and found I was consistently using 80% of my RAM. WeWeb and Figma would put quite a bit of stress on that little guy and apps would start to crash when video or would screen share, particularly Miro’s Around, but Slack and Zoom had issues. I finally upgraded to the Macbook Pro M3 Pro with 18GB and my Stats show about 50% utilization. My WeWeb tab still crash at times, but only when I’m doing something silly like ctrl + z several of my changes at once.

1 Like