Editor - consuming huge amounts of memory

Hello.

I’m having an issue lately with the Editor, where it consumes huge amounts of memory (1-2 GB). Memory use is now easily viewed on Chrome with recent changes to their UI where it displays the memory usage when hovering over the tab title.

If I leave the editor alone for 30+min, the memory consumption usually comes down to about 500MB. If I keep working with the editor, it will eventually crash.

The live version of my site does not have the same memory issues.

Can someone please help me resolve this issue?

2 Likes

Try another chromium browser or check if you have too much variables / workflows collection etc

Best chance imo is to go for Orion

On Arc it consume but have a good amount of RAM so can’t complain personally ,

The editor is far more memory intensive than a published app will be. My observation is that the full list of components on a page are kept in memory and really expand. We had a member on state change who had to re-architect a page with lots of hidden components because the weweb editor just keeled over.

Plus javascript (and by extension the browser) is not awesome at memory management - it’s a tough fit for this kind of intensive application.

A few things can help on the margin:

1. Disable extensions. Extensions can take up memory and cause a lot of overhead, especially with complex applications. I just saw this tip for another no-code editor, and they were right!
  2. Use a different browser. This mainly helps because usually the new browser doesn’t have extensions installed. Otherwise chromium browsers are pretty similar.
  3. Restart your page with some frequency. I mean just refreshing by pressing F5 or control-r. This resets the memory management.
  4. Buy a bigger computer. Mainly more memory. This is not an awesome solution but it can help!

And finally, I’ll note that the weweb people pay attention to these forums and improve the software cleanup, so I would expect this problem to get better on the margin. Of course, you’ll add more features, which will put more pressure on the computer, so it’s a dynamic system.

1 Like

Yeah, published projects run smooooth, it’s the Editor going nuts, I find myself refreshing the window after some time, cuz it’s like 1,5 GB :smiley: (I’m on a MacBook Pro M1 with 32GB of RAM)

Hi there :wave:

Yep, we’re aware of the issue and taking steps to fix it. For now, the most straightforward solution I’m aware of is #3 in Ray’s list: refreshing your page fairly regularly. I know, not ideal when you’re in the flow :confused: Sorry for the inconvenience!

And as a couple of you mentioned, I can confirm that these memory leaks are limited to the Editor. Your live apps won’t be affected.

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas for workarounds. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one!

I’m not finding this works, unless I do a HARD refresh (this will bring the memory use down somewhat), but a hard refresh and reset Cache, brings it down to a manageable level for an hour or two before the machine is bogged down again.

Not ideal when in the flow, so I’m hoping for a fix sooner than later! Thanks again.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip on the hard refresh!

:rofl: this is nothing. Bubble eats up to 11gb with 2 tabs open in chrome on my MacBook

I had to regularly clear my cache until recently, like all the time.

You could also try arc browser. Seems to do memory management better than chrome and you may have better experiences while building.

1 Like

Hearing bubble in 2023, almost being 2024 is just straight sad :joy:

3 Likes

Just seeing their editor and this UI of them should be a signal :joy:
Look Wix Studio has evolved and is actually pretty solid ( got a chance to have an access )

@aurelie @Alexis are there any plans/timelines about when this is gonna be handled? Now as of recent I’m finding myself with unusable editor after a few minutes, and my project is like two pages really.

Hi @Broberto :wave:

It’s something that’s high on our to-do after the release of components.

Can you open a support ticket with a video when it happens on this 2-page project? It’ll help the team a lot

Hey @Joyce, We are also facing this issue, our project freezes as soon as we open our weweb project page, and then if we reload it pops up with “out of memory” issue. So can you pls look in our project?

Our workspace is “Investmos” on weweb and our project name is “Investport”.

It would be great if it be resolved soon.

Thanks
Yugal

Actually, just yesterday I found a weird bug on one of my old projects, it made the whole page unusable and it was causing many errors in WeWeb. I’d check the console if I was you.

Yup. Editor crashes randomly. I refresh and then it’s back. Then it crashes again. And so on …

Hi there :wave:

Can you create support tickets for this?

New day, new memory usage records

Screenshot_1

2 Likes