New Supabase mini-course

Hey there :wave:

Thought you’d like to know we just started a new YouTube playlist dedicated to WeWeb + Supabase tutorials :slight_smile:

Here’s what you can expect:

If there’s anything else you’d like to see in there, let us know!

12 Likes

Static Pages @Joyce

1 Like

Thank you. Will take the time to check out this coming weekend.

Hey @david :wave:

Great idea!

Not sure I will have the time to do a full tutorial on this in the coming weeks but I just answered in this thread to help you get started: Static Pages + Supabase - #15 by Joyce

@Joyce great tutorials, thank you!

I am a bit confused about the user data handling, especially public vs auth. It seems we can update auth user metadata directly from weweb so what is the benefit of having a public profiles table? Especially since supabase auth provides user metadata on login but I would have to query the DB for the public profile after login and make it persistent (store it in a global variable maybe?).

I am curious what the best practice is here, especially:

• When to store data in auth user metadata
  • When to store data in public profile table
  • best practice on making public profile table persistent (or should I query the db whenever I need data like avatar url etc?)

thanks! :slight_smile:

Hi @sebschaeffer :wave:

This is helpful if you want users of your app to view other user data, i.e. not just their own info (e.g. a social media app) or if you need a view where admins can see/edit/delete user data (e.g. a company directory where the HR team can edit other users’ information).

In both cases, the users in the auth schema contain the information needed for authentication (and may contain additional info in the metadata if you’d like) but the profiles in the public schema can contain a lot more information and you can fine tune what people can or cannot do with the data in that table.

Does that help?

You can actually read everything about it from Supabase directly, they encourage you to do what Joyce does in the video, because this way it’s more handy in general.

Hi, I’m new and not that experienced. Started with Bubble, and managed okay but after some research I thought WeWeb might be a better option. Further research also suggested using Supabase might be a better option than some of the others. I’ve got my head around some of the basic functionality of connecting a Supabase table (using the Supabase plugin) to create a collection and using repeat items and simple formulas to populate text fields. And now I’ve just found this, which will be really useful.

What I’d like to see is how to relate one table to another for a specific purpose. In my scenario the user would create a project table that holds simple high level base data on a house/property (address and contact details etc) and then they would add standard descriptions of each room (dimensions, images etc). I’m interested in how the tables in Supabase and the structure of WeWeb would work. I’d like to see a video on this. In my minds eye I see a card that holds the property details and when the user clicks on it, a list of rooms is revealed with relevant data.

Is there a chance you could put together a video on how this is achieved, please?

Just to clarify, I think this should be two tables? One for each house and one for each room. Each house has many rooms.