New editor: Can we please disable the auto-opening of debugger logs, just let it remain on the tab we are on (when we click the preview button) šŸ˜Ŗ

Everytime I click on the preview / eye icon, the debugger logs is automatically opened.

This is starting to be a huge and annoying problem because of the following reasons:

1. Every time the logs open, it lags and I want to still be on the tab I was on (usually the html tree), not open the logs. The logs opens automatically when I donā€™t want it to which slows down the whole thing. The whole editor slows down unnecessarily.

2. This DISRUPTS the editing process. I donā€™t want to keep going to the logs. I have to keep toggling out of the logs when I donā€™t want the logs to be open to go back to where I was on.

Letā€™s say Iā€™m editing an element, i could be previewing it about 50 times in the span of 15 minutes just to see whatā€™s happening. I donā€™t want to keep toggling out of the debugger logs (as I donā€™t need it YET)ā€¦ I am still working on the element and require other tabs.

1. There are a million reasons reasons why someone would click on the preview icon, that isnā€™t because a problem is happening and would not require the debugger logs to be open.

Debugger logs is only useful when something wrong happens, donā€™t want it to keep opening every time I just want to exit editing mode to go to preview mode to view my app. Sometimes I just want to preview stuff / try stuff out as Iā€™m building them, I am not in fixing / debugging mode.

One example is when I am trying to change from page to page, I will click on the ā€œpreview iconā€ so that I can click to navigate BUT the logs is open and its laggy and I lose the html tree.

This constant context switching is the death of productivity.

1. A similar problem happens when we exit workflow. when we exit the workflow, we donā€™t need the logs to be open because we are already done debugging. But this is a much less annoying problem than the preview eye icon triggering the logs because it happens less regularly.

A much more intuitive behaviour is that when we click on the preview icon, just let it stay on the tab we were on - whether this is the html tree, variables, or debugger.

8 Likes

Agree :blush:

We have an open ticket on it internally, we are actively working to provide a better experience here :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Great!! I am so relieved. Thank you, it is driving me nuts and slowing me down, i will focus on other things first and come back to building my app when itā€™s fixed haha :heart_eyes:

1 Like

AMAZING UPDATE! BUtttttttā€¦

I have a particularly heavy application that has LOTS of custom code and HUGE objects that I updateā€¦ I have to wait 20 seconds every single time I preview. Veryyyyy time consuming - sometimes the logs crash my browser/tab. I just upgraded to 64gb of RAM. Itā€™s helping, next is the CPU, evidently.

Please fix ASAP :heart:

(Iā€™m grateful for your comment saying youā€™re working on it! Just wanted to chime in and echo the sentiments)

1 Like

Hey Aurelie! Is there an ETA for this fix?

haha itā€™s really driving me nuts because it happens up to 100 times per hour of being in Weweb :sweat_smile:

We are working on it right now, should be coming very soon

2 Likes

Agreed! On a related note, itā€™d be very nice if there were keyboard shortcuts to open up different panels in the editor. This would save me hours a week.

I know webflow has these extensively, bubbles is limited (but thereā€™s a third party browser extension called Bubble Buddy that offers more), but weweb only has a shortcut to toggle preview mode to my knowledge.

1 Like

You should have the CMD+A available for the Add panel, but we have a whole workshop to do to handle the shortcuts in WeWeb, I agree :slight_smile:

The fix is in production :).
We do not toggle anymore + the filters of your logs are stored in localStorage, and saved between refresh :slight_smile:

5 Likes

hurray! thank you~ :heart_eyes:

P.S. Btw - when we exit a workflow, could we go back to where we were at when we entered the workflow instead of staying in the debugger Logs? Haha thank you.

Thatā€™s also hella annoying haha because the logs lag everytime and when we exit the workflow page, we donā€™t need logs anymore.

1 Like