How good is support for SEO in WeWeb.io apps?

My website idea needs easy SEO discoverability, hence the question. Do we need to do some special things when developing or it is enabled by default? are there any limitations compared to hand-coded websites?
I am looking for all the best practice recommendations from the WeWeb.io team.
I did not find anything in the docs.
FYI I have a backend background but am pretty much illiterate in the front end.

3 Likes

@Joyce
Nice to e-meet you
I will appreciate your take on this.

Hello @sonofguddu!

It’s enabled by default :slight_smile:

There are some things to keep in mind as with any tool:

Other than that, the only WeWeb specific thing to keep in mind is that, when you add a collection of data that you want to rank in SEO (for example, blog articles), you’ll want to choose the “Static” mode when setting up your collection.

This is because, when you choose the “Static” mode, your pages will be pre-rendered by WeWeb which helps search engine bots understand the data faster and therefore index it better.

Does that help?

2 Likes

Thank you Joyce. really appreciate!

1 Like

Hi Joyce,

Do you have any examples of a website using Static mode on some pages and dynamic on others?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @richardwhatever :wave:

I recognize your handle from Twitter :smile: Nice seeing you on here as well!

The WeWeb website comes to mind: we use dynamic collections for the Academy page and a static collection for the Changelog page.

1 Like

I have many category pages. The content of each page is always dynamic. But I want all pages to be ranked. So I can mark them as static, but the content will still be dynamic, right? Do you just do server-side render on pages marked as static?

Hi,
we are doing prerendering for every page which has a fixed url, or is repeated through a static collection.
We do not prerender page with dynamic url (because we can’t guess the list of possible value, in opposite to static collection).

If your page has a fixed url (or is repeat through a static collection) but have dynamic data inside, the dynamic data will be used for prerendering, with the values at the publish time.

1 Like

How did you manage to show dynamic title for each page from static collection?
I tried to bind Title, description, tags for each static page but it doesn’t work.

This is what you have in Changelog static collection page, I’m looking for such result

Thats what I have:

I tried to bind my meta title to title from static record:

Hi @Anna.fae :wave:

Based on your screenshots, it looks like you did everything right. Would you mind sending me a DM with a link to your project so I can have a closer look?

Any timeline when we can expect pre rendering for dynamic pages? A marketplace will have thousands of pages, and it’s important for those pages to rank.

1 Like

Not in our roadmap as it would require us to run a backend to render dynamically app pages and it’s not where we’re leaning toward for now, sorry.

We build static pages you can push on CDN. For a marketplace I guess, depending of the update frequency, you could use static collection page and build your app every time a new item is added to the marketplace.

Maybe in the future this feature could happen but it’s not planned for this year.

@Himanshu @Alexis is there any third party tool which can help us with prerendering…as work-around for now?

after some googleing I found prerender.io … I think weweb uses vue.js internally?
@Himanshu plz let me know what you find out

The prerendering tool will sadly have the same issue → it’ll need to know all your URLs beforehand. That means (for dynamic pages with variables) to have all the variations by reading your backend.

That might be doable if you host your app yourself and do a small script for this.

A little update on this in case anyone else is struggling to bind the URLs of a static collection:

After chatting with @Anna.fae, it turns out that it was unclear that, when working with a static collection, it’s important to create a static collection page to get those binding features.

Here’s the user doc article where you will find how to:

• setup a static collection page, or
  • setup a dynamic collection page

I hope this helps others too!

FYI, improving the messaging in-app to help guide you through those subtleties is a constant work in progress. When you run into these types of things, don’t hesitate to share your feedback with us. We’re always looking to improve :slight_smile: