How do I allow a user to select an option from a list, or create a new option, using AirTable?

Hi -

I am using Airtable as my backend, and as part of my weweb application I am building a “create record” form to allow users to create new records. In my airtable, these records have linked fields to other tables which represent options the user should be able to select.

Example: User is creating an “Equipment” record, which has a link to a table of “Makes”.

I want the user to be able to select from an existing make in that table, or create a new one while they are creating the equipment record.

What element should I be using, and how do I bind the data such that the user can search and select an existing option, or decide to create a new option?

Hi @readiup6 :wave:

Apologies for the late reply.

Currently, you could use the Multi-select element with the Allow to create option enabled here:

You would also need to restrict the number of options a user can select by adding logic to the element (a little bit of work but doable).

For the binding side of things, the videos in the user docs should help.

We are in the process of updating our documentation and videos with the new UI but the element will work the same way :slight_smile:

Does that help? It’s not the most straightforward thing to do. Don’t hesitate to let us know if you get stuck. In the meantime, we will work on the UX of the select and multi-select elements to make them more intuitive.

Hi Joyce - just coming back to this project now, I did solve it in this way but used the “single select” as they’re only able to pick one option. I bound the options to the new table of the options they can pick from.

My only issue now is filtering that list of options. I’m assuming I will need to create a variable for this, but I want the list of options to be limited by other options the user selects.

For example: User is creating an “Equipment” record, they select a “Make”, then when they select a “Model” I only want them to see the Models related to that Make. Right now, they see all the Models regardless. There are multiple instances of this in my application, where a user is selecting first a parent category, and within that parent then select a sub-category of items only related to that particular parent category.

Do you know how I might limit the options on the second or third thing the user needs to select?