Display and bind data from user table with references (Xano)

Dear Community,

I want to display specific data on a dedicated page and already created a dynamic collection page. The first information (1) was easy to bind via formula. My problem is that I don’t know how to bind informations via formula, when the the information is in referenced tables. Information (2) is behind user_id/address_id and information (3) behind user_id/service_id (there is an overview on the attached picture).

Is there a way that this could work via formuar? I already tried out the getKeyValue and lookup functions but I am not sure how to set them up…

Why not join all of this in Xano? I bet it would save you a lot of formulas.

Hi @Broberto
I just started with Xano and WeWeb a few weeks ago, so I am quite a newbie and just followed the steps from the WeWeb Tutorials. I didn’t know that there was another solution. Can you perhaps help me how I can set this up according to your suggestion?

Check this out) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUDdGudAMJ0, the Joins part

1 Like

Hi @Adrian :wave:

You have a few options.

You can “join” the data at backend level like @Broberto mentions or Xano also allows you to get data from one table with “Add-ons” from another table. (Both are mentioned in the video Broberto shared)

If you have fetched data from both tables in two separate WeWeb collections, you can also use a lookup formula in WeWeb to find the data from one table that is referenced in another.

Here’s a video on the topic: https://youtu.be/gu-YA606_24

Does that help?

1 Like

Thank you for these solutions. For me it is quite hard to decide which method I should choose. At the moment I get via API request the informations from a specific parcel_id from my parcel table. Through the "Add-“ons” in Xano I now see the new fields “address: null” and “service_null” (see picture API Request). @Joyce I have seen your video but for me it is hard to transfer and understand how this would look in my case since I have only one specific parcel instead of a list with different items…

Yeah, I completely understand!

There’s no hard and fast rule on this. The general idea is that if you’ve already fetched the data from your backend, you should avoid fetching it a second time because you would then be making an extra (but superfluous) API call.

In your case, do you have a parcels collection in WeWeb with all the parcels or do you just fetch a specific parcel one at a time?

From what I gather, it seems like you don’t fetch the parcels data through a WeWeb collection so it would make complete sense to use the “Add-on” functionality in Xano.

Does that make sense?

On my first page I have a API call to get all parcels with my user_id. I am not sure if this is a good way to bind them, but it works :sweat_smile:. When I select a specific item I want to display more informations (service and address mentioned above) on the second page. Therefor I created a dynamic page where I get the informations of a specific parcel. But I still dont really understand how to write my Formula even after I added the “Add-ons” to my API call in Xano…

Hi @Adrian :wave:

Have you taken some time to watch the level 2 of the WeWeb Academy by any chance?

There are a few issues with the way you approached this.

I think the level 2 of the Academy could be super helpful to get you up to speed on some programming concepts.

It requires some time and effort but I think you’ll enjoy it and will feel more confident building an app in a secure and scalable way.

It explains things like how to structure your backend, when to filter data in the back or in the front, how to work with linked fields in a more visual and effective way than what I could do on this forum I think.