Setting up openID authentication with steam

Hi guys,

New user here. I’m trying to build an application and need the user to be logged in/authenticated using steam as the openID provider. However, steam’s documentation regarding openID implementation/integration is not great at all. Here’s a link to what I could find on their website: Steam Community :: Steam Web API Documentation (one paragraph at bottom of the page).

Given that weweb’s configuration for openID requires a client ID and a client secret, and there’s no mention of anything of the like on steam’s documentation, does anyone have any idea what those values should be? Or any way of getting around not setting them?

A little bit help and guidance would be great.

Thanks.

I did some research and found this old topic => Login with Steam OpenId(oidc-client-js) - Stack Overflow

I’m afraid steam doesn’t provide a compliant Open ID Connect interface and so it can’t work with our current Open ID plugin :thinking:

From my experience, every OpenID provider has an UI allowing you to register an app and get some sort of credentials/secret you can then use on your side to perform the authentication process. This is why we ask for this credential on our settings.

You may need to implement it yourself, maybe you can try with our npm plugins if you’re not afraid of doing javascript code.

Thanks for the response @Alexis.

I’ve looked into this more as well and it seems like steam are still using openID 2.0. It also doesn’t look like there’s any intention on their part to update to openID connect, so it will have to be some sort of custom implementation in order to make it work.

Regarding the npm plugin, there’s a couple of nice packages which would be great for implementing this, but they’re all node packages. Do you have any in mind which could work in the browser ?

Thanks.

I don’t know sorry, maybe if you have the skills for you can reverse ingineer one of the package, given the steam documentation, it only has one endpoint, so maybe its not that hard to request it yourself :thinking:

Maybe its just a redirection to their login page with a query parameter like redirectUrl=mywewebpage.com

Then, once logged in, steam redirect to your app with a credential/token inside the URL, I dont know what is the flow, but if there is no secret involved, it should not be very complex and doable in the front end :thinking:

That’s pretty much what it is, to be fair, but it’s probably best done on a server. Thank you for your help anyway, bud.