Performance issue, simple test. 4 seconds vs 0.8s

Hello guys,

I have a performance issue and I would like to know if it is related to me or the platform.

I’m working on a CRM and initially developed it using HTML, CSS, JS, and PHP. However, I started looking for a faster implementation method because writing code took too much time.

I conducted a test comparing the original project (built with HTML, CSS, JS, and PHP) to a version using WeWeb. The original project, despite having a slower database query response (0.09 seconds), loaded in Lighthouse (incognito mode) in 0.8 seconds. In contrast, the project with WeWeb, which had a faster query response time (0.0025 seconds - supabase), loaded in Lighthouse (incognito mode) in 4

seconds (Largest Contentful Paint for both).

My question is: Can you achieve a performance of under 1 second for the Largest Contentful Paint using WeWeb?

For me, performance is everything. Consider that my HTML, CSS, JS, and PHP project loads 500 profiles on a CRM (with images and information for people and companies) in 1.7 seconds. This is impressive because, in a CRM, you rarely need to load 500 full profiles on the same page. Typically, loading 25/50 profiles takes only 0.8 seconds.

Hi @andrei :wave:

Right now, we won’t be as fast as a coded app for sure because there are too many superfluous wrappers in the code we generate when you publish a WeWeb app. The team is currently working on fixing that so that should change soon.

That said, the 0.8s to 4s difference seems huge. Is there anything that stands out in the Page Speed Insight recommendations or when you open the network tab of the browser’s inspector, anything that takes way longer than the rest to load?

The page is simple, a menu, a widget (alone are loaded very fast) but showing the collection is huge. the collection is just fetch from supabase view table, no query, just the simple fetch of a few items.

Hi @andrei and your are calling exactly the same backend from your coded project? You are comparing Coded frontend + Supabase vs WeWeb + Supabase?

The backend response is only somewhat relevant to the over page speed. A lot depends on how many elements you are rendering, how the page was built, etc.

If you are comparing like to like → coded front-end (react, vuejs, nextJs, etc) on top of something like Supabase and a WeWeb front-end that is built exactly the same way, same structure, following the same best practices and sitting on top of the exact same Supabase backend, the performance difference between the two will be negligible.

The only conclusion is that you are comparing two incomparable things.

Hi Slavo,

I’m comparing Coded frontend + (MariaDB from a cheap local provider) an WeWeb + Supabase.

The response of MariaDB is slower when monitoring time than Supabase, and on MariaDB I’m executing a query instead of reading information from a “views” in supabase.

Please find screenshots with a proof. First is time from MariaDB and the second is from supabase.

I want to follow up to see if anyone knows how to fetch database information quickly. I set up a simple Supabase fetch configuration, and during page refresh, everything is loaded, but the fetch takes about 3 seconds before showing the information. There’s a white container during these 3 seconds. Do you have the same situation, or is it just me? This kind of performance issue is blocking me from proceeding with building the application.

Thank you.

Hi, your screenshots indicate the SQL query execution time, it doesn’t include the network transfer time, you can try to look at the devtool network tab and see how long the request to supabase took globally

Do you have an auth system ? When visiting your web app there is a first request that is made to load the authenticated user when already logged in, it can increase the loading time on private page

I’m not an expert reading this raport but it is from JS not from the query? Do you believe that is smething that I can fix or is how weweb render js?

Hi, the network tab is this one

You can see the time every request took, for exemple my supabase requests (Players, UserMatch, etc) took around 80ms

One of my side project built with WeWeb and Supabase, with no particular optimization, has a 97 performance score and load instantly :thinking:

So it could be you’re trying to load too much data and it take a long time to go through the network ? It could also be your page is huge and take time to render, I know using grid can impact performance on some browsers at this moment

This is Desktop though, what about mobile score?

Not tested because it would be a CRM, not used that much on mobile. Weweb has many issues beyond the product itself (slow). The production environment is slow, and publishing is very annoying because it refuses to publish for unknown reasons. There are component bugs :sweat_smile: and the community support is very low. I’m sorry, but I have decided to stop using Weweb in favor of a new tool which is very fast (Weweb takes 4 seconds for 25 items, this new tool takes 0.8 seconds for 500 items in the same structure) and the production environment never slows down my laptop like Weweb does. I’m disappointed that Slavo convinced me in the meeting (50 dollars wasted in the worst way) + 1 week for learning.