Input in component not setting value correctly

I have input in a component. I have a “Initial value” setting on the component attributes. I also added all of these in order to hopefully correctly set the value in an externally visible variable:

I even added this workflow on the component itself as the value was sometimes not getting set:

Now when I use the component sometimes works fine, but than I navigate back to the page with a key to pull the newly saved data and none of the values are actually set in the variable. They display fine, but on subsequent save actions the call fails because all the values are empty. I also get these errors:

Questions:

1. How do I reliably set a value of a variable when an input is in a component?
  2. How do I tell which component are those errors for as that ID is not really giving me any idea what is trying to be set
  3. How do I troubleshoot this best?

For some reason the input started to work normal again… I did not do anything special other than refresh a few times. Not sure what the issue was. :pensive:

I would still love input on question #2 above and also on #1 if I am missing something…