Building a CMS/Blog Through WeWeb

TL;DR - I’m wanting to get some feedback about building out a CMS using nothing but WeWeb & Xano.

Quick Background
One of the big reasons I migrated to WeWeb was the ability to have static pages, which are very SEO-friendly compared to the dynamic pages that you typically see with other platforms like Bubble.

I absolutely need both my WeWeb app and my blog on the main domain which (as far as I am concerned) leaves me two options:

Option 1 - Use a headless CMS. What I don’t like about this approach is that it’s an additional cost and very often these headless CMS services require you to use their database.

Option 2 - Build my own CMS where the front-end editor is on WeWeb and host all of the actual post data on Xano. This is the option I want to pursue.

A Rough Outline
Here is how I’m picturing it to work: I have a static page on WeWeb where I would compose my article. Let’s call it /compose/. The page would essentially be a big form with fields for all your typical blog stuff (title, author, hero image, slug, etc).

When I write my post and click “submit”, that data is then sent to a designated “blog” table in my Xano database and that table becomes my static collection. Yes, I’ll have to re-publish my site everytime a new post is made, but that’s fine.

Before I move on to my dillema, is there something I’m missing here? This should work, right?

The “Missing” Piece
Hypothetically, I could use the WYSIWYG element on WeWeb to compose the body of my articles, but being able to insert images is important. I get this is tricky because those images need to be hosted somewhere. I suppose I could hyperlink to already-hosted images I want to use via HTML, but that’s not exactly the smooth nocode experience I’m looking for.

Does anybody have advice for this? Even if there were a 3rd party tool where I could compose my article and then just copy & paste the raw HTML afterwards into a box on my /compose/ page, that would be sufficiant.

At the same time, I don’t want to re-invent the wheel if I don’t have to. I suppose the dream tool would be a low-cost headless CMS that would allow me to use my own database instead of being forced to pay for theirs.

Would appreciate any feedback on this!

Sounds good! :slight_smile:

The current RichText component is a bit limited right now but we plan to develop a new version, far more extensible, and you will of course be able to add images inside, and upload yourself the images added to your Xano for example, with the right workflow!

I can imagine a custom image button, allowing you to upload a file or enter an url. Then, the image will be uploaded to your Xano, you will got the new path url and insert it automatically inside your text.

I don’t know very well the current state of the market about Headless CMS, maybe someone else know the perfect fit for you

1 Like

Oh wow, that sounds great! Is there a timeline for this? Also could you guys add the function to centralize text? That would be great because currently the rich text editor can only have left align text. :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

No timeline but its is clearly in our top 3 priority about WeWeb elements!
And yes, I added your feature request in the list :slight_smile: